Sunday, May 17, 2009

Edible Van Gogh





This week I got to teach another art lesson to Grant's 1st grade class.  They have a really fun "Meet the Masters" program where parents come in and teach about an artist and then lead the class in an art project of a similar style.  I had originally volunteered to to teach one lesson this year on Andy Warhol in March and wouldn't you know it, the day I came to class Grant was home sick.  We were both disappointed- see blog entry for March.  However, they just happened to need one more volunteer for the year and we decided to give it another try and hope that Grant stays healthy this time.  I was assigned to teach about Vincent VanGogh and the class made drawings that very very loosely resembled 'Starry Starry Night'.  Quite a few of them looked more like drawings of tornados or just collections of fingerprints- and then there was Grant's drawing which he renamed 'Snowy Snowy Night' and added Santa Claus and the 8 tiny reindeer.  Why this experience was blog-worthy was because I couldn't resist showing off the masterpiece of a treat I made for the lesson: A cupcake and frosting reproduction of the painting.  I have to explain that Laynie gave me a really cute cupcake decorating book for Christmas last year which included instructions for making a tray of cupcakes into a reproduction of 'Starry Starry Night'.  At the time I first saw it I thought, Wow that's cool- but how often do you come across the situation where Van Gogh in cupcakes is just the perfect thing?  Well, this last week the situation presented itself and I had no choice but to attempt making those cupcakes.  I knew if I didn't try I would regret it forever.  The hardest part I thought was getting the frosting the right colors, but the rest was not too bad. It was actually a huge ego boost for me.  Grant watched me frost the cupcakes and kept saying over and over again- "Mom, you're awesome!" The kids in his class also thought I was amazing and I am sure if given the choice between my cupcakes and the actual original artwork worth who knows how many millions of dollars, they all would have gone for the cupcakes.  Impressive sugary treats are a very effective way to gain praise and admiration.  They also made a big mess and turned all the kids teeth blue.

9 comments:

Christa said...

what was edible abot the picture?

The Fifes said...

wow! I couldn't tell it wasn't a painting until i clicked on it!! Amazing-- really!! Good for you for going into school! How's your belly?

Melissa Lyon said...

Geeze Mom- it's a picture of the cupcakes sitting on top of the art book! I put a frame around the cupcake tray to make it look more artsy. If you click the picture you can see it more closely and see the tons of frosting piled on top of the cupcakes which are kinda squooshed tightly together.

Amber- My belly is getting big and round- just like the rest of me ( thanks to the cupcakes and etc.)

Laynie said...

OH WOW! I'm so impressed what you have done with it. At first, I thought you painted or draw but I saw you were talking about cupcakes. I was like uh? Is that cupcakes?! OH COW! It looked amazing! You're truly an artist! :D

Cindy said...

Well, I think this officially vaults you into first place in the world's coolest mom contest.

Roger said...

Wow Missy you are truely awesome! If I had only known how talented you would grow up to be I would have been able to put up with some of your childhood quirks much easier than I did, because I know that all geniuses are usually a little excentric. Please don't cut off your ear though.

Heather said...

Holy Cow, Missy, that is absolutely AMAZING. Maybe you should have made my wedding cake.

Heather said...

P.S. I'm super impressed with the colors-- how much food coloring did you have to dump into the frosting to get such dark colors? No wonder the kids' teeth turned blue!

Mary Lyon said...

Grammy says:
Your painting is sooo amazing!!. I also would never have guessed it was cupcakes. Putting the frame around it was the final stroke of genius. Yes, you are truly the coolest Mom. YOur kids and family are so lucky. I'm sure you're famous at the school!

Speaking of your belly. How about a picture.

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.