Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Art of Sarcasm

Some people don't like sarcasm. But there's an even more sinister part of the population that doesn't get sarcasm. On my mission, I learned that most Ecuatorianos don't get sarcasm- at least when they're dealing with gringos. On one memorable occasion, after explaining the promise of the Book of Mormon I asked what they were going to do with the book- just to make sure the commitment would be kept. The family just looked at me blankly. "Are you going to eat it?" I joked. They looked at each other and grinned and the mother said kindly "Spanish is hard for you isn't it?".

It is with great pleasure that I can report what we think is Grant's first intentional insertion of a sarcastic comment in an average conversation. For years I have worried that what is likely the chief sign of Lyonhood would not be passed on to succeeding generations. And since sarcasm is something I love to use around the kids (Missy has said before that as I lose patience with them, I get more and more sarcastic), whether directly or as asides they just don't follow, I really want more people to appreciate my wit!

To be honest, none of us can remember what it was- like all the best sarcastic comments, it was perfect for the situation, yet impossible to recall in its entirety. Anyway- yay Grant!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations Grant and Dave. I'm sure this will be the start of many more enjoyable memories. And don't worry, by the time Grant is 12, he'll be a master.

Tim said...

awesome... i am sure it was a great sarcastic comment.

you can't really type sarcasm, can you?

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.