Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday is Interview Day

I am not that great a dad, but one thing I am proud of is that I do interviews with my kids every week. By that I mean that every Sunday afternoon, each of our kids has a sit down interview with dad in his office. If you're thinking it's a good idea, I got it from my Dad who had interviews with us too, but maybe not every week? I can't remember. Anyway, I can guess that as kids get older, they may be less excited about the idea. At their current ages, they love it and are excited about it.

Typically we start with a prayer in which I express my appreciation for them in our family. We talk about how well they did chores and based on that they get a percentage of their dollar-a-week allowance. We put their tithing in a separate envelope and then the rest goes into their piggy banks.

This year, we're memorizing articles of faith- one a month so I don't know if we'll do 13. :) If in their interview they're able to say the current one we're working on, they get a mini Hershey bar (those really tiny ones). And they then get to redo an old one they know for a second bar. They can only get two, even though Grant tries to convince me every week that I said they can get more (it's not true- don't believe him). They do astonishingly well- even Rachel.







We also talk about their goal for the week, but we're suffering from not being able to remember to work on it during the week. And although I've been forgetting lately, we're also supposed to schedule our one-on-one outing for the month where they get to choose something fun for us to go do together.

If I'm not in the mood to remind them of interviews, they remind me- they love it.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Good job kids! Chloe has her articles of faith down pat (just got her faith in god award when she turned 12 - thanks Melissa for getting her started!), Jordan,well we won't talk about Jordan if we don't have anything nice to say (he still has some time). I like the interview idea, my kids would probably hate doing it weekly, but love the allowance and candy idea!

The Fifes said...

That is so neat-- such a great idea!

Tim said...

Nina sounds like a teenager.

Christa said...

Great job you guys. I am impressed.

Mary Lyon said...

I loved hearing the kids! I'm so proud of you for having interviews, Dave. You're doing a great job as parents. I like the chocolate idea too.
Mom (Judy)

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.