Thursday, April 2, 2009

Just April Foolin'


Why is it that April Fools Jokes are always much funnier before you pull them?  In my imagination they always end up like that $10,000 winning America's Funniest Video video- the shock, the good humored laughing, the priceless memories.  My plans seem fool proof . . . the day before.  In reality they usually end up with noncompliance, suspicion, crying, grouching and sour faces. Come on, where is your sense of humor family? It's not like I am a mean prankster either.  I strictly avoid anything embarrassing, destructive or messy- I would be the one who would have to clean it up anyway.   So this year I made the best April Fool's day dinner ever- meatloaf cupcakes with pastel colored mashed potato "frosting".  They looked scrumptious.  But when dinner came, not even Dave would even taste them.  And with his example the kids, who usually inhale anything remotely resembling sugar, would not get close to them.  There goes my Kodak moment! (Yes, I also made a "dirt" cake that was actually real dirt instead of crushed oreos, but I didn't serve that on anyone's plate and ask them to eat it. Come on, I wouldn't really expect anyone to eat anything disgusting!)  To be honest though, it takes a bit of coaxing to get my kids to eat normal looking meatloaf and potatoes, and I knew that.   But I secretly hoped that this joke might be just so amazing, so funny that they would just be tickled all over gobble them down (keep dreaming!)  Instead I got the usual: crying and whining about how many bites they have to take.   I guess next year I'll have to stick with Dave's advice, sweets that look gross instead of "gross" that looks sweet.


Of course that was not the only joke that occurred at our house on this first day of April.  Grant got plastic play food in his lunch bag instead of the real stuff, Dave was handed a permission slip to sign for a first grade field trip to outer space tomorrow, Nina brought "sushi" to her class for snack time, the car mysteriously broke down on the way to the ice cream shop, Rachel filled her pants full of stinky brown stuff and pretended it wasn't there, no wait, she does that trick everyday.  Anyway, I'll leave it up to the rest of my family to rebut my comments or brag about their own tricks.  And now I have a year to analyze my failures and successes and plan for next April first.  I'll think of something really good next year.  Come on, how hard can it be to trick a 6 year old, 4 year old, 2 year old and a 33 year old?

4 comments:

Cindy said...

That is hilarious! Where did you come up with the meatloaf cupcake idea? You are the world's funnest mom! You have to admit though, any kid all excited about eating a cupcake for dinner is not going to be pleasantly surprised to find out that it is really meatloaf.

Tim said...

I would have eaten them in a second, Missy. I think it is awesome that you are the one pulling April Fool's jokes on everybody. What a cool mom.

Christa said...

Missy, where did you get that inventive, adventerous streak? Not from Dad I think, but not from me either. Your family is so lucky to have you. They may not appreciate it now but those cupcakes will be the subject of legends told for many years to come.

Gramps Lyon said...

Grammy says:
Oh, I commiserate with Missy. It was such a great idea to make the meatloaf cupcakes. Dave, what happened to your usual enthusiasm? One year I made pink mashed potatoes and green gravy. Then I turned the lights down low so you couldn't tell. It was so fun - for me at least! These things are some of the really fun aspects of being a mom.
I love all your creative ideas!

Nina really did fool me though. When she said she was out in a box by the mailbox, I thought for some reason that you really had come to Kansas. It was a great April fool's trick.

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.