Saturday, June 13, 2009

Grant's Talk

A couple of week's ago in Primary, Grant was assigned to give a talk on baptism and how it blesses our family. In preparing it, we watched pieces of 'On Our Way Home' that has the boy in a family that's getting baptized who thinks about his little sister who has died. And we read the scripture about Nicodemus' conversation with the Savior about being born again. I explained the symbolism too, of dying, being buried in the ground, and being resurrected. Grant seemed to really latch onto that.

We wrote out his talk and then Missy cleaned it up with a little pictorial reminder of each line even though Grant's a great reader. In sacrament meeting he asked me to show him the scripture we had read. I did and perhaps having an idea what would happen, I bookmarked it.

Grant started into his talk, but when he got to the place we wrote down that Jesus said we must be born again he stopped and said "I'm going to read you a scripture" and read the appropriate verses like a pro and made a statement about when we get baptized our sins die. Then right back into the 'planned' talk. Bro. Dobson in the bishopric leaned over to me and asked if that was planned and I grinned and shook my head.

Everyone was very impressed. I am grateful to be able to see moments like that of obvious growth in our children.

1 comments:

Heather said...

I wish i could have heard it in person!

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.