Sunday, February 15, 2009

Magic Bottle

Sometime before Christmas I gave Rachel what has proven to be her very favorite toy of all time (so far in her 2 years). As I recall, she was being annoying to Missy (or maybe Me) and to get her to calm down and distract her I told her I had something special for her. This was not entirely true but I was sure I could come up with something to put in her hands. Glancing through some things, I grabbed an old film canister (I know- film for cameras- crazy). I had kept one for many years because my high school art teacher taught me to use them as the ideal tool for smoothing tape or glued paper. The thing is- I don't do that often and I thought it might occupy her for a minute which was all I was going for.

I handed it to Rachel, who seemed please but told me it was empty and what should go in it. I reached out, grabbed 4 pennies and put them in, telling her if she opened it I'd have to take it away.

That was about 2 months ago. Since then, a mound of toys was added to our collection. And yet still, Rachel's "bottle" is usually in her hands several times a day. When it's missing she gets help finding it. It accompanies us to the store sometimes. I would never have dreamed she'd attach to it this much- but it sure makes me rethink what we spend on all these presents every year.

The Bottle

4 comments:

Melissa Lyon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Lyon said...

Wow she rely likes it. grant

Gramps Lyon said...

GRAMPS:
I remember an old Mad Magazine spread showing the big wrapped box under the Christmas tree and the boy excitedly asking them to take the new toy boy-size car out. As soon as they did, he jumped in the box and was happily playing while the Dad was expressing his dismay at what the car had cost - things don't change!
I think that this generation may have enormous expectations but often not with toys that really aloow their imaginations to take flight. I remember one son that thought that the cardboard and foil contraption would actually be a jet pack that could make him fly. Our imaginations are the most wonderful toy.

The Fifes said...

hehe. That's awesome.

2007-2009, Dave and Melissa Lyon. All rights reserved.